Monday, November 1, 2010

Man vs Toddler

Well, I’ve just come through my biggest test ever. A massive examination which required herculean physical strength, the cunning of a fox, and negotiation skills worthy of a UN diplomat. Yes, I just spent three days looking after the son on my own with my wife away on a girls weekend.

Nah seriously, it was all good and something that I was actually looking forward to. Not because I don’t get a chance to spend time with him. Far from it. No, more because I just love spending time with him and sometimes wonder whose having more fun with all the playing, and the wrestling and the chasing. It certainly wasn’t all beer and skittles mind you. There were a few terse moments involving some choice words and a lost TV remote, and they were just from my son. But I think those moments would happen no matter what as any extended time with an 18 month old would raise a few issues and perhaps your blood pressure a peg or two.

It certainly helped that he slept pretty well despite being prodded in the ear a few times a night as we attempt to clear up an ear infection. Early wakeups around 5am did occur but as I’ve found over the last year and a half, as long as I get a stint of at least 5 hours I can cope and be semi-human the next day (others may disagree with that though). He also ate well over the three days which was a real bonus as we’d entered a period of non-conformity of late in relation to meal times. This had come as a shock to us as his short life up to then could easily be told in a story entitled The Never-Ending Food Pit.

Yes, the three days went off without a hitch (not scar-inducing ones anyway) and was a good experience in knowing the two of us could cope pretty well. I know the wife has been hassled with lots of “So how’d he go?” type questions from friends and family and I’m certainly hoping she’s been replying in the affirmative or at least with a nodding smile. She also came home very relaxed after spending plenty of time by the pool and missing her ‘men’ so I reckon it’s been all good on all fronts.

Now, if only I could find that remote…

EDM.

2 comments:

  1. EDM you set a great example to other men and present an intelligent, modern view of being a father. In my experience as a Teacher and Father of two, it is extremely important for Dad’s to; be involved early, be affectionate, lead by example and above all make time to spend with the kids. Even though some of these things are conflicting with traditional views of masculinity and other goals in life, they ARE necessary if being a good Dad is important to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well said mate. I am intrigued about the nature of modern fatherhood and always up for a sharing of stories and views. cheers for reading and leaving my very first comment also.

    ReplyDelete