Monday, November 15, 2010

Movember Reign - Day 15

Evening folks,

Yes, I’m back. Its been over a week since I last posted so apologies for the lack of comms. I won’t go into any details but will say that some very sad news meant it just didn’t feel right to be logging on and writing about things light-hearted and frivolous in nature. I’m here now though and given the date - 15th, half-way through the month – feel compelled to provide an appropriate update on how the mo is going.

I took a photo just a few moments ago but apparently the file size is too big to upload on this blog. I would normally try and resize it (or would I?) but on closer examination I don't think it does me justice anyway. Must be the light from the flash or something. Anyway, its going OK by my reckoning. Trust me, I work for the Government.

I did let it grow out a bit for the first 4-5 days to try and see where my facial hair grows as a means of ensuring I get the design right. Last time I did Movember I committed a schoolboy error and sculptured it from day one which meant the design didn’t quite fit my face as some of it was growing in the wrong places while other bits were patchy and desert-like.

Alas, the first sculpture this time did leave me a little concerned as I’d left the areas south of the lips on either side of my mouth growing as I wanted more of a Dennis Lillee look rather than an above-lip-only look. And for a few days after, that looked like a mistake as the little hair that existed at the time was a lighter, sandier colour which meant it didn’t look like there was any hair at all in that location.


But perseverance will always win through and I feel like I could be a strong example to all the kids out there. Because in the last few days the requisite growth has come through and the colour has got darker. So glad I didn’t listen to my wife back then and shave those bits off when she said about a week ago “it looks like some bits of cracked pepper have been left after your last meal”.

Coming into the tricky third week then, I feel I’ve got the design right for my face. None of the hairs are too long yet but expecting some messy drink and meal times soon as the hairs grow longer and perhaps start getting a bit too close to my mouth.


I know from last time the Day 20-22 period wasn’t great and I ended up trying to ‘tweak’ some of the hairs around my mouth and like a garden hedge, I kept on tweaking and tweaking until there was hardly anything left just above the lip. Determined to not let that happen again though so might have to invest in a grooming kit or something as my day-to-day razor does not provide enough precision and accuracy.

Socially, the mo has actually been quite the conversation-starter at work. People who normally give me the nod or a ‘how’s things’ in the lift now stop and have a chat and want to talk about the mo and movember in general. I haven’t had any kids running for the hills as yet either and my little one in fact has taken to running his finger over my top lip whenever I say “where’s Daddy’s whiskers?”


My wife hasn’t put any halt to kissing as well so it must be going OK and not be too prickly or grouse for her. Then again, she’s always enjoyed my ‘holiday beards’ so maybe I should start thinking about making the mo more of a permanent thing. Yes, I’m sure she’d love that!

Anyway, I can’t believe I’ve managed to write 700 words on a Movember update. Must be that it’s such a fascinating topic. Or maybe I’m just good at writing about the frivolous and inane.


But of course, I’ve got to put another call out there for sponsorship if you haven’t already done so. If not, get on to this website and lay some cash down on my m’tash. And remember you can always donate to the Mark Spitz Appreciation Society as a whole if you’re concerned about individual donations breaking your bank.

Cheers for that and happy contemplations,

EDM.

No comments:

Post a Comment