Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I'm Now A Twit

Evolution is a powerful concept. The need to develop and grow in the need to survive.

Well, Nah Seriously has recently taken on some evolution of its own. The media landscape is a constantly changing one so I've taken a good hard look at myself and decided to jump on board the latest fad. Well, it's probably not that 'latest' actually. But hey, I'm doing my best to keep up and hang on tight.

"What is it?" I hear you say with bated breath. Well, EDM has joined Twitter. In my own attempt to develop and grow.

Now, from a quick survey of you lot (done in my head based on random assumptions and presumptions), I can tell not a lot of you are on board with the whole Twitter thing. In fact, you're probably already growing tired of Facebook and another form of social media simply makes you sigh in frustration and misunderstanding.

Well, I too had these thoughts on the Twitterverse and was thoroughly uninspired by stories of celebrities tweeting this and that and the like. The thought of being bombarded by inane messages of irrevelance certainly made my skin crawl.

Alas, a friend suggested getting on to Twitter as a means of getting this blog a wider audience and/or making it easier for some of my followers to be notified of the latest post. I raised an eyebrow at the time but the thought stuck and come some free time a few weeks ago, I decided to check it out.

Unfortunately, you pretty much have to create a Twitter profile to check it all out so there I found myself filling in some details and being asked to create a profile name and password. The first hurdle was limiting my name to only 14 charactors and of course coming up with a description. Eventually I worked it out and all of a sudden I was in.

I then trawled the search engine for friends and family and promptly 'followed' those I could find. Now some of these people still haven't returned the favour as yet, but hey, that's another story and I'll be taking that up with each one of them in due course.

Next step was locating some of the news sources and blogs I traditionally utilise and before too long I had a list of twenty or so profiles of which I was following. I promptly logged off and didn't give it another thought for a few days.

Later on I was playing around with my mobile phone and discovered I had Twitter already programed into it. 'Ah right. I'll have a look then and see what the Twitterverse has delivered'.

I wasn't expecting much to be honest but I soon realised this was going to be a great help as all the information I normally have to trawl the internet for while remembering website addresses and co, was all in front of me in summary and with appropriate links. Wow. This could change everything.

That was a few weeks ago and my normal morning routine is to now log on to Twitter on my phone over my coffee and read up on all the news from home and abroad. I've got access to sources of info I'd never heard of before due to the retweet function and the fact you receive a notification if some you follow recommends a particular article or blog post.

Yes, a new world has beckoned and I'm thoroughly enjoying all the different points of views and raising of issues I would never have thought of. This blog itself is also being 'followed' by a number of random sources from around the world now and I've seen my viewing stats go up quite dramatically. 57 visits in one day just last week had me quite chuffed to be honest. The effort and perseverance of the last 15 months is finally paying off. In some small way anyway.

However, this post isn't meant to be a plug for Twitter. It's meant to be a plug for me and this blog on Twitter. So if interested, you can now keep up-to-date with all things EDM and Nah Seriously via @NahSeriousBlog on Twitter. Get on to it. You know it'll be 'twitting' worth it.

Til next time my friends,

EDM.

No comments:

Post a Comment