Tuesday, November 15, 2011

EDM's Belated Birthday



How does one forget their own birthday? I really don't know, but EDM himself has managed to achieve such a calamity.

Yes, Nah Seriously's first birthday has come and gone with no mention from anyone let alone a celebration or toast from yours truly. 22 October 2010 was the day of my very first post so I've even missed it by weeks rather than just a mere few days. Oh well, this sad predicament will quickly be remedied by this post.

And what a year it has been. Over 70 odd posts in a 12 month period is a little short on the frequency I was hoping for when I started this blog so I've certainly had my share of writer-guilt at times in not being more consistent in my output.

But I have realised I was a little naive back then to be expecting to churn out three a week given how busy the other elements of my life have been, especially the last few months and my role right now as primary care giver and house husband. That new role has also seen a real change of tack in relation to the topics I post about as my life as a working man and the issues that revolve around that are on temporary hiatus.

Alas, I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience and think the blog has achieved one of its purposes in seeing for myself if I have the commitment and drive to write on a regular basis and put myself out there in relation to my thoughts and arguments. It hasn't been short of controversy as a result but I've always welcomed comments from others disputing my take on things and providing alternative arguments.

On a personal front, the year has had a lot of ups and downs, some of which has made it on to Nah Seriously but some of which has not. I have actually written a number of posts over the 12 months that expressed my frustration or sorrow at something going on with ourselves or with friends/family but I haven't ended up publishing them in the interests of privacy and not wanting to potentially upset other people.

I said in my very first post that I wouldn't limit myself in subject matter and that I would post on anything as "I am interested in anything that is interesting". Well, I think I have succeeded on that front as the range of post topics is quite diverse.

From political discussions on the carbon tax and Campbell Newman's foray into State politics; to AFL season previews and reviews and some passionate takes on the ups/downs of my beloved Melbourne Demons; to rants and raves on social issues such as Brisbane's response to the January floods, the recent riots in London and the changing nature of Australia Day; and to storytelling and narratives on my own life, particularly around my family and of course the amusing antics of The Son.

So what will the next year bring? Hopefully some more readers and followers for a start but also a more regular timeslot for the publishing of posts. My aim at the moment is to post on particular days each week so that people know when to expect another one.

Haven't quite worked out when that will be but all will be revealed in due course as well as some lowgrade marketing initiatives (or shameless self-promotion as some might call it).

As to topics, who knows? It all comes down to the happenings of the world at large and my particular place in it and who on earth can predict any of that.

I am always thinking of my loyal readers, however, so below is some of my favourite and more interesting posts of Nah Seriously's first year for your reading enjoyment.

Some Of Life's Pleasures
Some Of Life's Displeasures
Some Of Life's Questions
Day In The Life Of A Political Staffer
Mind's Eye - Trip To The Pool
It's A Grand Old Flag

So thanks to all that have dropped in from time to time and especially those that have 'followed' me from the beginning and provided comments. Here's to me then and Nah Seriously's first birthday, but here's to all of you as well.

Til next time my friends,

EDM.

No comments:

Post a Comment