Thursday, November 17, 2011

Obamarama


In light of the current POTUS visit (President of the United States - too much West Wing me thinks) to our shores, thought I'd jot down some musings on our friends across the Pacific and thoughts on the relationship we both enjoy.

Now, I don't claim to be an expert on this, but I have had cause to think a little more deeply on this topic than most having had two stints living in the US and doing a Masters in International Relations nearly ten years ago.

That Masters was undertaken over a couple of years but began during the Clinton era of global engagement and 'just' interventions in humanitarian crises in places such as Kosovo and Somalia. Those interventions did not completely avoid controversy but at least the decision to go in could be seen as the right thing to do. In fact, I ended up doing my Masters thesis on US Foreign Policy during those humanitarian responses and the overall philosophy of democratic peace.

Conversely, the last year of my Masters coincided with the Sept 11 attacks and decision to go into Afghanistan and I'll always remember the fascinating tutes I attended where there was some quite heated discussions between American and Arab/Indonesian students.

Personally, I agreed wholeheartedly with the decision to go into Afghanistan to take on Al Qaeda with vivid memories of being at the World Trade Towers only a few months before the attacks and knowing friends in Rhode Island, where I'd lived, who'd lost friends on one of the flights.

However, I did not agree at all with the decision to go into Iraq and even hit the streets in protest along with millions of others around the globe. Iraq and Saddam Hussein had no link whatsoever to Al Qaeda and the arguments around 'weapons of mass destruction' were flimsy at best and outright lies at worst.

The invasion of Iraq was therefore unjust in my view but also pretty stupid as it merely inflamed relations with the Muslim world and hindered any attempts to sustain the goodwill towards the US that was engendered by the Sept 11 attacks.

As a result, you could say I've had a bit of a love/hate relationship with US Foreign Policy over the years which probably mirrors my own political views and where I sit on the political spectrum. Leaning to the left a little, I've probably admired and respected US policies when Democratic Presidents have been in power (Clinton, Obama) while being massively disappointed at other times, but in particular the George W Bush years.

One element of the GWB years that angered and frustrated me the most, besides the actual decision-making that took place, was the hypocrisy evident in the justifications for pursuing a certain decision.

The invasion of Iraq was all about shoring up strategic assets in the Persian Gulf and ensuring the supply of oil. But no, we were told it was about 'freedom' and bringing 'democracy to the Arab world'. For once, I just wish they'd admitted their decisions were based purely on their own self-interest, which is OK - everyone does it, rather than feeding us a whole lot of 'saving the free world' rhetoric as though they were doing it all for someone else.

Enough on the US as a political/government entity though. A completely different side of things is the actual people. Before I lived in the US, I'd travelled extensively in Europe and must admit the ugly American tourist thing was in full swing. The fact the ugly Australian tourist thing was in full swing as well is another story.

And while you try not to stereotype and generalise, sometimes harsher impressions solidify more easily and particular people you meet can come to symbolise a whole nation. A very silly premise really, especially with a nation of 300 million people that has no single culture but is made up of thousands of cultures and connections.

So when I actually moved to the States and lived there, I found the people to be extremely generous and friendly and I made a number of lifelong friends amongst them. I had an absolute ball while there and would happily move back to Rhode Island or places like Boston and New York in a heartbeat. My so-called 'worldly view' of Americans had been dramatically corrected and of course I came to admire a lot of aspects of American life and the institutions and structures they hold dear.

Of course the Americans I got to know well were hugely patriotic and well versed in statements talking up the US as the best and brightest. Coming from Australia, where apathy and disinterest is a national trait, I both hated and loved this chest-beating and pronouncing.

On one hand, I loved playing devils advocate against the grand statements and felt the need to point out that a whole another world out there existed. But on another hand, I had to admire the pride in their nation and was inspired a little by their devotion and how much they cared. As I said, we do the apathy thing a bit too well here in Australia and I often wish we cared more about how the nation is being led and what can be done to make things better.

So there's a lot I admire and respect about the US and Americans as a whole while there is the odd point of difference as well. Much like the relationship between our two countries I would surmise. There's many more ties that bind than those that don't.

So here's clinking a cold Samuel Adams (my favourite American beer) to our friends across the Pacific and long may our special friendship continue. Especially if China keeps rising the way it is. Because let's face it, we'll be needing you guys in a friggin' hurry if that all turns to $hit.

Cheers!

EDM.

2 comments:

  1. Dobbs, one hell of and article...look...ok...I admit it...I am pretty hammered at the moment...I actually ran in to the Funk this afternoon and all he had to say is that Geo is a pussy and we were all lucky he wasn't racing casue he would have taken us all to China Town!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur Thom Katt, you were hammered. That conversation you thought you had was all in your mind my friend. PS. Good article Dobbs - I love the US too.

    ReplyDelete