Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Promises, Promises and That One Race

Well, October was a bit sparse wasn't it. It was my first full month of daddy day care so those responsibilties do appear to be undermining my blogging consistency. Plenty of inspiration mind you, but just making it hard to sit down for an appropriate block of time and punch out a post. I am promising more this month though so a good thing it's only the first giving me amble opportunity for a productive November.

Yes, the daddy day care thing is pretty full-on. I know there are plenty of people who seem to think I'm on holidays up here on the coast so it just goes to show how little spare time you get when you're doing the bulk of the parenting duties. Although I did get some boys time most recently on the weekend so it hasn't been all nappies and park time. Very good weekend in fact which took most of Sunday and yesterday to get over.

The occasion? Our annual Noosa Triathlon weekend (I didn't have far to go) whereby we do the Eyeline 1000 ocean swim on the Friday before enjoying ourselves for the rest of the weekend while most of the event's attendees do their bit. It's quite a tradition for our group with it being the 11th year for the founding fathers and my 7th. The swim went pretty well actually considering I only trained for about four weeks so plenty of ammunition for the celebration that followed. Hence the hangover that only diminished yesterday.

And so it is the 1st of November and that means Melbourne Cup Day. I've missed nearly all the buildup and just managed to get some ill-informed bets in a few minutes ago. I'm currently at home on my lonesome while the wife works and the son is asleep so quite surreal to be honest. At the very least, I've always had a work function to go to with a few beers so strange to be sitting here watching it on the TV while punching out a post on the laptop.

My bets? Shizza, have forgotten already. Think it was a bit on Niwot and a bit on Drunken Sailor as well as a boxed trifecta for the big bucks. First one is one of the favourites but had to go with Drunken Sailor as well for its name.

(stepping away now to grab a waking son and to watch the big race)

And the winning horse is...Dundaden, by a hair. Meaning I'm not a winner which is par for the course as I'm still yet to have a win on a Melbourne Cup race. My awesome strike rate continues. Shizza once more. But a memorable experience nonetheless to watch it with the son on my lap. He did tell me to stop when I was cheering them on, however, so probably not the most authentic of horse racing experiences.

So there you have it. A promise to be more productive and consistent over the coming month with this blog and also a riveting narrative on my rather sad Melbourne Cup experience. Bet you lot can't wait for more after this. That's sarcasm by the way.

Anyways, best of luck to all with their bets and see you soon (hopefully).

EDM.

PS - And a Reserve Bank rate cut just announced. This mortgage slave reckons that's much better than a Melb Cup bet win.

No comments:

Post a Comment