Friday, May 20, 2011

Little Man Memories

Hearing your first scream as you were welcomed into the world. You were not a happy camper at the time.

Sitting on your mother’s bed as she cradled you in recovery. Our first ‘three of us’ moment.

You asleep and lying along my legs as I sat next to the window of the hospital room and stared out in a fog of uncertainty.

Driving you home for the first time and doing 30km/h the whole way while trying to avoid every pothole.

Being stuck on the couch for an hour one afternoon, unable to move, as you passed out in my arms.

Becoming a pro at ‘swaddling’ and wrapping you up like a sausage roll every night.

Bathing you in the laundry sink and you kicking the water for the first time and splashing my face.

You getting your first cold while we holidayed up the coast. Not exactly a restful or relaxing time.

The first solids you ever eat while sitting in your bumbo on the kitchen bench. The scrunched-up look on your face was priceless.

Taking you bushwalking at Mount Tamborine and carrying you around in a backpack. You kept reaching out and grabbing my ears.

Your six-month vaccination when you hardly cried at all but gave me a look like “why are you letting this person do this to me?”

Singing you back to sleep many-a-night with “A Grand Old Duke Of York”. Couldn’t get it out of my head for months.

You crawling for the first time, when I put you down in front of a toy before finding you under my feet a few minutes later.

Taking you camping and bathing you in a giant green bucket each evening before bed.

The thousands of “look, a train”, “look, a bus” references while driving around in the car.

Missing your first steps while I was at work and nearly getting tearful when your mother rang to tell me you’d done it.

Your 1st birthday party which I think we, your mother and me, hijacked as a celebration of surviving the first year.

Feeding the ducks at Kedron Brook on our many early morning walks. Including coffees at Maccas as it was the only place open that early.

The harrowing two-hour flight to Melbourne where I had to hold a screaming and restless you the whole way. Needed a massage after that one.

Taking you to the zoo and watching you mesmerised by the giraffes and giggling yourself silly at the seals.

Attending your very first game at the G, all wrapped up in Dees gear, and chasing you around the stadium while trying to keep an eye on the game.

The guilt I felt when you fell off the end of a slide at the park because I was fumbling with my phone to take a photo.

Throwing our arms up together at the same time whenever we go down a steep hill when driving (caused some fear in oncoming traffic each time no doubt).

Watching you mimic me with your toy mower while I mow the lawn.

Catching a ball for the first time out in the backyard and the look of pride on your face.

All the ‘stuckhugs’ I’ve given you in trying to get you to say “Dad” and then it finally worked one day.

You sitting on the couch with me watching the mighty Dees and clapping every time they kicked a goal (with a little prompting).

Helping nurse you through this last week with your bad cold and you stretching out your arms for a hug every time you coughed.

Watching you go off with your friends at daycare this morning and saying “Daddy go now”. Didn’t think the ‘embarrassed of my parents’ thing would start so early.

So on that note Little Man, Happy 2nd Birthday!

EDM.

No comments:

Post a Comment