Sunday, April 10, 2011

EDM Time

I write this as I sit at a corner table in my local cafe. Just finished a nicely constructed strong flat white and looking forward to the BLT that is on its way.

How self-indulgent you say? Well, this has only come about due to the fact I undertook solo parenting duties yesterday afternoon to allow the wife to 'do lunch' with a friend. A couple of hours to myself today is therefore my compensation for that and I must say I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

For its not very often that EDM gets any EDM time. Some time to take stock, contemplate and breath easy without having to worry about another. For a couple of hours anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I love the time I get to spend with the wife and son and all the joyous times we have together. Whether walking to the brook and feeding the ducks. Wrestling on the bed and giggling uncontrollably. To enjoying an ice cream together after a play at the park.

But you certainly do appreciate some own time when it does come your way. And that's what I'm doing right now. Enjoying a coffee and a meal. Just finished reading the Sunday papers. And now doing a 'surf' and jotting down some more musings for this blog.

Yes, I really think I'm the sort that does need some own time from time to time. I like the chance to gather my thoughts and take in all that is going on and all that is coming up. These moments are treasured therefore and provide an opportunity to refresh myself and get away from the nitty-gritty of modern life. Again, just for a couple hours anyway.

No man is an island though. I've certainly had my share of alone times that I didn't really enjoy. From solo travels in Europe to living by myself at one stage. And both of those experiences certainly made me realise I need to be around people so that I don't allow my contemplative mind to take over too much. There is a thing called overanalysing.

So I do now truly appreciate my lot in life in sharing my life with the love of my life and the miracle child we've produced. Plenty of family and friends around as well to share our lives with and enjoy a few laughs. They all provide an immense amount of joy in my life and ground me in ways that I probably don't truly appreciate.

But yes, having some time to yourself now and then is golden with a capital G. I love youse you all but there's definitely no complaints about having this few hours to myself. It was time for some EDM time and the universe delivered.

Now universe, where's that BLT?

EDM.

No comments:

Post a Comment